- Pet potty spots on the carpet? Here's a remedy using good old vinegar and baking soda. The steps are the important part. Pour enough vinegar to soak the stain and THEN add a small amount of baking soda. If you do the reverse, you will have a noisy, bubbly mess. Do it the right way, and you can hear the recipe cackling away, telling you how it is cleaning and deodorizing without leaving any residue. You need to let the spot dry for a day or two before sweeping up and then vacuuming. We cover the spot with a bowl or plate so that we donít have baking soda kicked from heck to breakfast. You can actually see the yellow color being absorbed up into your little mountain of baking soda. Works on old stains too!
- Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.
- Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle - perfectly shaped pancakes every time.
- To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
- To prevent egg shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling.
- Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispies treats in the pan-the marshmallow won't stick to your fingers.
- To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room temperature and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing
- To easily remove burnt-on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on stovetop -- skillet will be much easier to clean
- Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato-based sauces -- no more stains
- When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead -- no white mess on the outside of the cake.
- If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a peeled potato -- it absorbs the excess salt for an instant "fixme up".
- Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator -- it will keep for weeks.
- Brush beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish
- Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it back up.
- When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness
- To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh -- if it rises to the surface, throw it away.
- Cure for headaches: take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away
- Don't throw out all that leftover wine: freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces
- If you have a problem opening jars: try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.
- Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers. Just slice and rub raw potato on the stains and rinse with water
- To get rid of itch from mosquito bite: try applying soap on the area, instant relief
- Ants, ants, ants everywhere . Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march -- see for yourself
- Use air-freshener to clean mirrors: It does a good job and better still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine
- When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, then pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.
- Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost
immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by
traditional "pain relievers."
- Did you know that Colgate Toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns?
- Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with
mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong
Altoid Peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.
- Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of Horseradish
in a cup of Olive Oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply
it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.
- Sore Throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and
take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.
- Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two
tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms.
Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost
instantly -- even though the product was never been advertised for
- Eliminate puffiness under your eyes. All you need is a dab of
Preparation H carefully rubbed into the skin, avoiding the eyes. The
hemorrhoid ointment acts as a vaso-constrictor, relieving the swelling
- Honey remedy for skin blemishes. Cover the blemish with a dab of
honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps
the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.
- Listerine therapy for toenail fungus. Get rid of unsightly toenail
fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful
antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.
- Easy eyeglass protection. To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from
loosening, apply a small drop of Clear Nail Polish to the threads of
the screws before tightening them.
- Coca-Cola Cure for rust. Forget those expensive rust removers.
Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust
stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.
- Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer. If menacing bees, wasps,
hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the
insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground
- Smart splinter remover. just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue all over
the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The
splinter sticks to the dried glue.
- Hunt's Tomato Paste boil cure. cover the boil with Hunt's tomato
paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothes the pain and
brings the boil to a head.
- Balm for broken blisters. To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a
few drops of Listerine. a powerful antiseptic.
- Heinz Vinegar To heal bruises. Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar
and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the
blueness and speeds up the healing process.
- Kills fleas instantly. Dawn Dish Washing Liquid does the trick. Add a
few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse
well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.
- Rainy day cure for dog odor. Next time your dog comes in from the
rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet,
instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.
- Eliminate ear mites. All it takes is a few drops of Wesson Corn Oil
in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball.
Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the
mites, and accelerates healing.
- Vaseline cure for hair balls. To prevent troublesome hair balls,
apply a dollop of Vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat's nose. The cat
will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in its stomach so it can
pass easily through the digestive system.
- Quaker Oats for fast pain relief It's not for breakfast anymore!
Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the
microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your
hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.
- NOW look what you can do with Alka-Seltzer:
- Clean a toilet -- drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush, and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous china
- Clean a vase -- to remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets
- Polish jewelry -- drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
- Clean a thermos bottle -- fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary).
- Unclog a drain -- clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water